Monday, November 5, 2012

Happy Birthday Cascading Card

When I had to come up with a special card for a special friend: I thought about a recent card style: Concertina Fold Card or a Cascading Card recently posted on Splitcoast Stampers here. The original inspiration is from Chris (her blog:CallaLillyStudioBlog.blogspot.com: she calls it her Retail Therapy Birthday - her blog here). Chris has many different variations of this type of card (all so very clever and cute). Here is my version using White card stock as the base. I used the car from SVGcuts.com, their SVG cut file (with a video tutorial) from the Rock & Rollin Collection and Sizzix Clearence Sizzlits dies: Avery in Bikini, Cloe, Cloe w/bags, MacKenzie w.bags. I'm not sure if these Sizzlit dies are still available or not. I've had them for a while and finally got to use them for this project. Finished card size: 4-3/4" x 6-1/4".
A close-up of the "girls" - don't they all look so happy shopping?
Top view to show card construction:
Side views:
Back stamped message is from Papertrey Ink: Big Birthday Wishes stamp set found here:
Car license plate and words on shopping bags are computer generated. A silver pen was used to go around the headlights. Clear acetate used to back the windshield and a 11/4" with 1-3/8" circle punch used for the steering wheel.
Here are photos how I assembled this card:
Use the Big Shot to cut out the "girls" as shown:
Shopping bags are scraps of paper from my stash.  Handles are using SU Small and Large Oval Punches.
For the "girls" in the front seat: add foam tape to act as a "stopper". Add foam tape to the car front as shown:
Make acetate pockets for the back seat girls to slip into.
I loved making this fun card....................thank you for stopping by today!

9 comments:

Jan Castle said...

Looks quite complicated...but knowing you, it was easy peasy - for you that is! LOL! Really cute card Patti!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Carrie K said...

What an awesome card! I am sure she loved it!!

cropsticks said...

Thank you Patti for one of the best birthday cards ever!!! Your details to make this a special card is amazing.

eunice said...

OMG! This cascading birthday card is nothing short of fabulous. What a clever use of those sizzix girl dies, Patti! Darn, now I wish I had bought them too. Your creative genius never ceases to amaze me!

Chris said...

You did a fabulous job on your Birthday card! I love the expressions on the women's faces!! So cool! Thank you for your kind comments regarding my "Retail" Therapy card! I had such fun with the Cascading card techinque! Yours is FABOOO!!!

Colleen said...

What a fabulous b-day card for your friend Frances. I love the die cuts that you used to represent different friends. Love all the shopping bags too.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic card, Patti. Must try this 'cause I have those dies.
Love how you colored the girls!
So vibrant.
What did you use?

PJ

Gaby said...

Wow.......stunning.
So creative. Really love that card.

Have a nice weekend!

andrea chiu said...


Start your day positively and the rest will follow. Please do visit my site.Thank you and have a good day.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com